Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Calamansi Tartlets




Calamansi is a filipino lime, a.k.a Calamondin. Last year I got a new Calamansi tree and a few weeks ago it was overflowing with fruits. ( I don't have a green thumb really but having a Calamansi tree is almost effortless as long as you water it!) The fruits are super sour, range from orange to yellow/green color, and are small. Smaller than kumquats even! So anyways I had a ton of Calamansis to use and racked my brain on what I could make. Then I remembered I had these mini pie shells I bought from World Market and it hit me... Key Lime  Calamansi Tartlets! Now Key Lime Pie is pretty good. I live in Florida so it's almost mandatory that I like them, but Calamansi is better. Yeah I said it.

 Calamansi Tartlets
  • 1 package of mini tart shells.
  • 1 14oz. can Sweetened Condensed Milk
  • 4 Egg yolks
  • 1/2 C. Calamansi Juice
  • 2 Tbsp. Powdered Sugar
  •  Zest from a Lime 

1.  Preheat Oven to 375 F.
 

2. In a large bowl whisk egg yolks. Add Sweetened condensed milk, Calamansi juice, sugar and lime zest. I tried zesting a Calamansi but those suckers are so small it was nearly impossible. I had a lime on hand so I used that instead. Whisk all ingredients together.

3. Pour batter into pie shells. I used Clearbrook Farms Sweet Tart Shells. Found here. But any mini pie shell will do. Fill to the top. Bake  for 10 mins or until custard has set. Watch carefully if you cook too long the custard will crack. Some of mine cracked but it still taste good! When finished let it cool completely. 
(If you want you can top with whipped cream but I left it off because less is more!)

* If you have leftover batter just pour into a ramekin and bake. Then you have a crustless Calamansi custard! 












No comments:

Post a Comment