Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Guava and Cheese Pastry


I've always been a South Florida girl but it wasn't until I moved to Tampa several years ago when I became obsessed with Cuban food. Yellow rice, Palomilla steak, Cuban sandwiches and Cafe con Leche, yum! Two years ago when I moved even further South I thought for sure I'd get that same Cuban food down here. Maybe I'm just too picky but I'm partial to Ybor City Cuban Sandwiches so sadly I haven't found great Cuban food here outside of Boca. But there is a little Cuban Cafe kiosk at the airport that has delicious Guava and Cheese pastries. I know right! An hour from Miami and I'm getting my Guava Pastelitos at the airport!?

Well a couple of weeks ago I returned to work. And I've been trying to avoid temptation i.e these little warm triangles filled with sweet guava, cream cheese and ohh that flaky crust! This past Sunday I fought so hard to stay away from them. It worked I didn't get one by the way but when Monday came around I craved it even more. I had to give in, luckily I didn't have to drive far. I learned how to make easy Guava and Cheese pastries when I lived in Tampa and it was time to try it at home. I can't say these are as good as getting one at an Authentic Cuban Cafe but it's pretty darn close to me!

Guava and Cheese Pastelitos (pastries)

Ingredients:
  • 1 8oz block Cream Cheese
  • 1Guava Paste
  • 1 package of  frozen puff pastry
  • 1 egg white
  • Granulated Sugar
  1. Preheat Oven to 350 F. Thaw the frozen puff pastry on the countertop. Unfold the pastry on a floured surface. Using a sharp knife or pizza cutter cut each sheet into four even squares. (Total of 8 squares)
  2. Using a butter knife slice 1/2 Inch sections of Guava Paste and place in the middle of each pastry square.
  3. Using a seperate butter knife slice 1/2 inch sections of cream cheese and place on top of guava.
  4. With the corner of each pastry square pointed towards you (diamond shape) fold over the top corner down to the bottom. Using a fork press the sides together. Each pastry should be triangle shaped now.
  5. Place pastries on a lightly greased baking sheet an inch apart.
  6. In a small bowl whip one egg white and brush the tops.
  7. Sprinkle each pastry with sugar.
  8. Bake for 20 mins or until lightly golden.
  9. Allow to cool.

Guava paste can be found at Specialty stores or the ethnic food isle.
Guava and Cheese and Cuban Coffee. Perfecto

ooey gooey

No comments:

Post a Comment